Carbo's Classic Hits

I'm an aspiring sports journalist and am currently studying Professional Writing & Editing at RMIT with a view to completing a journalism degree. Sport plays a big part in my life and I don't think you will ever be able to take sport away from me no matter what I am doing or where I am in the world.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Sam Carpenter, a great story

This weekend sees round 4 of the VFL being played and for the Frankston Football Club, tomorrow marks a special day for one of its players when it takes on Geelong at Skilled Stadium.

The player is Sam Carpenter, who makes his senior debut after impressing the Dolphin's coaching staff in the reserves. He is rated by many as one of the best young footballers to have not been drafted in last year's National Draft and he had some outstanding performances for the Dandenong Stingrays in the TAC Cup competition.

Such performances made those in the football community stand up and take notice of a player who had already played senior football with MPNFL club Cribb Point before his 18th birthday.

His footballing ability stood out from the time he started playing as a junior in the under10s at Cribb Point and it can be highlighted from the fact that he has won nine club best and fairest awards as well three league best and fairests.

He also trialled with the Victorian metropolitan side for last year's under18 National Championships, but missed the cut.

What makes it all more interesting is the fact that Carpenter has had to overcome an obstacle that not many of us would experience ourselves, having only one full arm. He lost half of his other arm whilst having his arm caught in a mincer in his father's butcher shop as a young child.

Speaking to the Herald Sun, Carpenter said, "I have learnt to live without it," "I can't really remember ever having two arms so I've never known any different".

When asked about whether he viewed himself any differently because he only had one arm, he said that it is something he chooses not let to get in the way of his day to day life.

"It's not something I really reflect on. I suppose, because I lost it so many years ago and it's always been the way I've played, I've never really seen it as a big deal."

Sam Carpenter is an inspiration to all because he has shown that being without part of an arm, has not prevented him from living life to the fullest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>