Carbo's Classic Hits

I'm an aspiring sports journalist and am currently studying Professional Writing & Editing at RMIT with a view to completing a journalism degree. Sport plays a big part in my life and I don't think you will ever be able to take sport away from me no matter what I am doing or where I am in the world.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The World Cup.... who's interested?

With the 2006 World Cup being less than two weeks away, it's about time that we all discuss what this great sporting spectacle will do to the sporting culture of Australia.

Football has long struggled for any sort of attention in this country from the mainstream media and the sports crazy society that we have here, although this has changed following the FFA restructure.

The introduction of the new A League to replace the old NSL has seen increased crowds and media coverage at games, which has translated into kids wanting to kick a round ball rather than a round Aussie Rules ball.

Australia qualifying for the World Cup has certainly lead to increased interest and I say without hesitation that SBS televison will record some of the largest viewing figures they have ever recorded since they started in the early 1980s.

For anyone who cares to listen, it's called football and not soccer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>